Monday, July 21, 2008

Mike Bell and Water (Polo) and a Little Handball


Today's two doses of sports reportage have nothing to do with one another, and I discovered both while performing tasks completely unrelated to each.


It started at The Red Fox, a bar on the west end (frontier) of Fairbanks. As I half watched the ESPYS and kept an eye on the Brewers-Cardinals game (6-3 respectively) I noticed that the NFL piece on ESPN2's ticker had one piece of news: Broncos Waive Mike Bell. That single piece of information stuck on the ticker for about 7 seconds while Justin Timberlake made terrible jokes about Janet Jackson's wardrobe malfunction. My answer to both is: Who cares?


Could it possibly be that the biggest -- the only -- news in the entirety of the NFL that is ESPN2 ticker worthy is the release of Mike Bell? This isn't 2006, Bell isn't the rookie who rushed for 677 yards on 157 carries (4.3 ave). He hasn't started since then and spent most of 2007 inactive.


Mike Anderson is gone, and Tatum Bell was traded for Dre Bly in 2007. Both were better performers. Why is the release of Mike Bell so newsworthy or surprising, or Important. He rushed for three yards last year, get over it.
Why aren't we more concerned about Cuts Baby's Type 1 Diabetes or the fact that this is John Lynch's last season. Or even what my beloved Scruff Brotha's (Jake Plummer) standings are in Handball.


Way to go ESPN2, thanks for reminding me of better seasons and the mounting problems facing my beloved Broncos. Thanks George Bodenheimer for making me fume throughout my hot wings and punish myself by eating more extra hot sauce than usual, turning my toilet into Dante's Fifth Circle of Hell (the one with raining fire). And thanks Mike Bell for stop cluttering my rosters and ending the constant reminder that your rookie year was followed so dismally.


Later as I watched Entertainment Tonight (not a regular occurence) the USA Water Polo team was on, showering. Yeah, the female host may have been eating it up, but my continuing ire made me lash out in my frustration.


"What in God's name is water polo? There are no horses, no croquet mallets, no croquet balls and NO BLOODY JOCKEYS!"


Thats right, my night now has NO MIKE BELL and NO BLOODY, GODDAMN JOCKEYS.

-Rox

No comments: